8.15.2004

Perhaps "Not Qualified" Was A Bit Harsh

Thanks to Michael Moore's Website I was provided with this excellent story regarding the proposed new chief of the CIA. Porter Goss, President Bush's nominee for CIA director was interviewed by Michael Moore's crew during filming for Farenheit 9/11. Goss, whose quotes were not included in the movie, had the following to say:

"I couldn't get a job with CIA today. I am not qualified...I don't have the language skills. I, you know, my language skills were romance languages and stuff. We're looking for Arabists today. I don't have the cultural background probably...And I certainly don't have the technical skills, uh, as my children remind me every day: 'Dad you got to get better on your computer.' Uh, so, the things that you need to have, I don't have."

Thanks to Reuters for the excellent article.

Goss apparently granted the interview only because he hadn't realized the two men interviewing him were working for known "liberal" Michael Moore. In a telephoned interview Moore said, "You'd think the person who was the head of the intelligence committee would ask a few more questions. The reality is that Porter Goss was in charge of the oversight of the CIA during a time when the CIA didn't do its job, which in part resulted in the loss of lives of 3,000 people."

Certainly one could argue that Goss was attempting to compare himself to previous CIA heads. However, even if this were true, I'd like to think we wouldn't like to just settle when picking a new CIA chief. I fear what would happen in the "War on Terror".
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?