9.09.2004

Terminator Gets Personal

I didn't think much of it at the time. I thought it was just another cheap joke from that one-trick pony Arnold Schwarzenegger. Here's the quote from the speech:

Now, there's another way you can tell you're a Republican. You have faith in free enterprise, faith in the resourcefulness of the American people and faith in the U.S. economy. And to those critics who are so pessimistic about our economy, I say: Don't be economic girlie-men.

The U.S. economy remains the envy of the world. We have the highest economic growth of any of the world's major industrialized nations. Don't you remember the pessimism of 20 years ago, when the critics said Japan and Germany are overtaking the U.S.? Ridiculous.


He's a regular Jeff Foxworthy; you might be a republican if... Anyway, the problem I have is with that part about "economic girlie-men." Is it just me or does that seem a bit much? I'd almost say that this was perhaps sexual harassment! Hardworking people, Americans who have trouble hodling down jobs due to downsizing, anyone down on this economy, one that has gone from record surplus to record defecit in just 3 years is a "girlie man?" I honestly find it insulting and stupid. I never understood how the hell he got elected and I wonder even more now. He even pointed out that Richard Nixon of all people was his primary reason for becoming a Republican:

Listening to Nixon speak sounded more like a breath of fresh air.

I said to my friend, I said, "What party is he?"

My friend said, "He's a Republican."

I said, "Then I am a Republican."


An impeached president, one of the most flawed presidencies and perhaps flawed people this nation has known was his muse? Perhaps muse is a bit heavy. Maybe it's just that Nixon was a "manly-man". A man who, like Dick Cheney, wasn't afraid to tell a Democrat to "Go Fuck Himself," put him in his place. How is this bipartisan? How is this moderate? Apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. The Chicago Sun Times ran a story tuesday on the subject and OpEdNews has an excellent piece that inspired me to go off on this tirade. It angers me that the Republicans can do this sort of thing and get away with it, virtually unscathed, yet if Mrs. Kerry says "four more years of hell" she takes a beating in the press. Share your thoughts, please.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?